Share this:

Natasha
@natasha

support groups

Posted by @natasha, Mar 21, 2015

Does anyone know of any in the orlando area?

Arnold Palmer Hospital
@ArnoldPalmerMod

Posted by @ArnoldPalmerMod, Apr 3, 2015

@colleen_wright @ggoldstein1 @jwtanner1 can you all help answer this question? Have you found any good support groups for pediatric cancer in the Orlando area?

Geri Goldstein
@ggoldstein1

Posted by @ggoldstein1, Apr 3, 2015

I’m not aware of any, Carly. Should we look into creating one at APH?

CourtneySchmidt
@CourtneySchmidt

Posted by @CourtneySchmidt, Aug 6, 2015

I am absolutely shocked that there isn’t a support group. There are so many families that are going through these same things. I think it is definitely worth discussing to determine whether there is an interest in forming a support group. Also, another possibility is that there are a lot of capabilities of this site to create a sort of online support group.

What do you guys think about this?

Liked by Colleen

Cesar
@cesarjara

Posted by @cesarjara, Aug 10, 2015

There is clearly a need of support groups

Specially for the AYA (adolescents and young adults)

There has been a renew interest in the oncology community to outreach this particular group

I have seen several teens and even young adults at APH

However it is more a Pediatrc geared environment

You should start inviting families to monthly meetings

Hurdles are time and distance

We are in the East Coast

However Orlando has so many things to do so maybe a Friday late afternoon may work

Adolescents have a complete different set of needs than children or older adults

They have high school
College plans
Boyfriends
Girlfriends
Sports

And parents are not the one they really want to see, rather feel better with peers

APH will get ahead of the game by having an AYA program

Cesar

Liked by Colleen

Geri Goldstein
@ggoldstein1

Posted by @ggoldstein1, Aug 10, 2015

Cesar, We are currently working to form a support group for Pediatric Oncology. Stay tuned!

Cesar
@cesarjara

Posted by @cesarjara, Aug 10, 2015

I ll certainly more than happy to help in any capacity possible

Also for the adolescents could give them options to help others (even younger children) that also helps them as psychotherapy

Cesar
Cell 3215052390

CourtneySchmidt
@CourtneySchmidt

Posted by @CourtneySchmidt, Apr 4, 2015

I am absolutely shocked that we aren’t aware of any support groups in our area. There are so many families that are going through these same things and could benefit from that.

I think it’s worth a discussion to determine whether a support group could be beneficial. Also, another possibility is using this community site as a way to form an online support group.

What do you guys think?

Colleen
@colleen_wright

Posted by @colleen_wright, Apr 4, 2015

I think having monthly meetings on the floors would be helpful too, you can invite past families and families currently going thru treatment to talk. From there it would be nice to see if a bigger need is necessary

Geri Goldstein
@ggoldstein1

Posted by @ggoldstein1, Apr 4, 2015

I agree, Colleen. I think it’s worth it to explore more. I think we should plan a gathering at the hospital and see how much interest there is. Carly and Courtney, can we talk this week?

Liked by Colleen

Arnold Palmer Hospital
@ArnoldPalmerMod

Posted by @ArnoldPalmerMod, Apr 6, 2015

@ggoldstein1 @colleen_wright I will email you both today to get a time set up. Thanks for taking the initiative on this!

Jennifer W. Tanner
@jwtanner1

Posted by @jwtanner1, Apr 6, 2015

I am not aware of any either. When you attend camp boggy creek or even a lighthouse camp they do offer support in a group setting. I think something is needed locally as well. Would have really enjoyed for my daughter to talk to peers as she was going through treatment too. I do think it is most helpful though to connect with parents of same diagnosis. So if the group can be more specific to the type of cancer even better.

Jennifer tanner

Arnold Palmer Hospital
@ArnoldPalmerMod

Posted by @ArnoldPalmerMod, Apr 6, 2015

Thanks for the feedback Jennifer! This is really helpful in knowing how best to reach our families.

Cesar
@cesarjara

Posted by @cesarjara, Apr 8, 2015

Agree with Coleen

I am sure a lot of people are willing to help, we just need the system. Support groups also can help identify specific groups and needs, like teenagers and type of tumor.

For just an example our daughter got sick with osteosarcoma at the end of her junior year, and we had a lot of questions about college applications and the completing senior year at home or school.

Cesar

Sent from Surface

Arnold Palmer Hospital
@ArnoldPalmerMod

Posted by @ArnoldPalmerMod, Apr 9, 2015

Thanks for the feedback Cesar! We are working to find a solution that is best for the families we serve at Arnold Palmer Hospital. Take care!

Please login or register to post a reply.